Never played a game until last year

Video games were not my thing as a kid. We had a Commodore that hooked up to the tv and played games that required the user to input code. I played Frogger and some game involving a duck. I think. The memory is fuzzy. These did not win me over. Books were infinitely better.

Games got better and friends played them, but jumping on mushrooms for gold coins was never compelling. Given an Italian plumber or Narnia, I chose the latter. By the time college and adulthood arrived, I was so maladapted for playing that I didn't even try. Trying to use a controller was like trying to play the flute wearing a mouth guard. The point of it all eluded me.

But then I got engaged to a gamer. He would, he threatened, get me to play games. Ugh. I envisioned shooting zombies at point blank range and flinching from the blood spatter. This was not my cup of tea. This wasn't even my caffeinated beverage of choice. But I begrudgingly gave in. 

He cajoled me into playing Journey. It. Was. Amazing. The controller still didn't make any sense and the smallest movement of the joystick sent her careening across the screen, holy shitballs. The art was beautiful, the music heaven sent, and there was a story! It wasn't mindless. It wasn't gory. It wasn't violent. It was meditative and peaceful and delightful. This wasn't just my cup of tea, this was my London Fog. 

Since that game last year, I've tried to play every day. Some games I've loved, some have made me give my husband the "why the hell did you make me play this, I thought you loved me" look. This blog will try to catalog my thoughts, reviews, and growing pains as I play through games as a newbie and try to figure this whole thing out. 

Comments

Popular Posts